WWE’s Andre The Giant Who Used To Guzzle Down 100 Beers Every Night Had Once Dwarfed Bodybuilding Legend Arnold
Priety Athwal | May 19,2017 6:08 PM IST
He was called "The Eighth Wonder of the World".
He remained undefeated for 15 years till WrestleMania III. He was the highest-paid wrestler in history at that time
The 19th of May marks WWE’s Andre The Giant’s birthday and history remembers Andre as one of the most successful acts of WWF. Towering at 7 ft 4 inches, the Giant was a spectacle to watch.
See more slides of the story
- Andre The Giant’s heart was as big as his giant frame. He had a habit of paying for himself whether he was a guest or host. The story goes that one night he was out on a dinner with Arnold Schwarzenegger, who decided to pay the bill.
- But it was not to be. Arnold found himself lifted by Andre The Giant carried him outside on the car roof and told Arnold that he would pay.
- WWE veteran Ric Flair confirmed in an interview that the Giant once drank 106 beers in one night. He was unofficially crowned "the greatest drunk on Earth” as confirmed by The Fabulous Moolah/Mary Lillian Ellison says that Andre once drank 127 beers and had passed out in the hotel lobby and none of the hotel staffers could carry Andre. The helpless staff draped a piano cover over him and let him sleep.
- Earning US $400,000 in one year during the early 1970s, André made it in the 1974 Guinness Book of World Records as the highest-paid wrestler in history at that time.
- The WrestleMania III battle between Hulk Hogan and Andre is considered one of the greatest battles of WWE.Both had a fued going and Andre, whose career was in the last leg due to his health, was pinned down in front of over 93,000 fans by Hulk Hogan.
- It is said that Andre The Giant could eat 16 steaks, 12 lobsters, an entire case of beer and 10 bottles of wine in a single sitting.