Dinesh Karthik Included In Champions Trophy Squad; His Ex-Wife’s Affair With Murali Vijay Was Reason For His Failed Marriage And A Destroyed Friendship
Himanshu Kapoor | May 19,2017 4:46 PM IST
Dinesh Karthik has been included in Indian squad for the Champions Trophy as he replaces Manish Pandey, who has been ruled out due to a left side strain.
Karthik recall is seen as a reward by the selectors for his excellent form in domestic cricket across format. Karthik is one player in the Indian side who has seen more ups and downs in his personal life than professional, all thanks to another cricketer.
See more slides of the story
- We are talking about Murali Vijay, who is currently recovering post his wrist surgery. It was a love triangle that ended in a bitter divorce for Karthik with wife Nikita.
- Karthik married Nikita in 2007, but Murali Vijay, his then good friend, got involved in a love affair with his wife in 2012. The sparks reportedly flew between the two during the fifth edition of Indian T20 league.
- But sooner than later Nikita’s interest in Vijay became known to Karthik and the wicket-Keeper-batsman without creating a fuss filed for divorce from her immediately after.
- But Karthik quickly jumped back on the horse with star Indian squash player Dipika Pallikal, who is the first Indian to break into the top 10 in the PSA Women's rankings.
- The two began dating but Karthik kept his relationship status with the charming lady under the wraps after his failed first marriage with childhood sweetheart.
- The two had first met in 2008 at Chennai Marathon, when Dipika was just 17 and the two would not meet again after that till 2013, when they became friends while training together at a gym in Chennai.
- Later that year when Dipika went to Leeds for a session of physical training, she was joined by Karthik and it is said that it was time when their friendship blossomed into love.
- When India lifted the 2013 ICC champions trophy in England, Dinesh poped the question to Dipika in June that year. The two got engaged in later in November and tied the knot August 2015.