Hyderabad Team’s Siddharth Kaul Had Almost Quit Cricket Twice And How It Was Yuvraj Singh Who Was The Reason For His Return
Jasmine Philip | May 19,2017 5:24 PM IST
The 10th season of the Indian T20 series witnessed the rise of several domestic cricketers. But it was Hyderabad team’s Siddharth Kaul who impressed fans by picking up 16 wickets for his team in 10 matches.
The 27-year-old cricketer who celebrated his birthday on the 19th of May, belongs to a cricketing family. His father played for the Jammu and Kashmir team during the 70’s while his older brother played for Punjab in first-class cricket.
See more slides of the story
- Kaul made his debut for the Punjab team in the year 2008 Ranji Trophy. His brother at the time played as the wicket keeper for the team.
- Having taken 5 wickets in the debut match, he soon joined the under-19 squad and was picked up by the Kolkata team in the T20 league.
- Although he was selected for Kolkata in 2012, Kaul didn’t receive a chance to play.
- The following year, Kaul was picked by the Delhi team. His biggest break in the T20 league however is marked in the 2017 season where he was selected by the Hyderabad squad.
- His 16-wicket mark this season even impressed India’s former skipper MS Dhoni. “Acha bowl kar raha hai tu. Pace bhi badh gaya hai tera aur orkers bhi ache jaa rahe hain. Aise hee sharp ball rakh,” stated Dhoni praising Kaul.
- The star cricketer however had his failed moments back in the day. Kaul suffered a serious knee injury while fielding that left him with a ligament fracture.
- Ignoring all advice of a complete bed rest, Kaul tried to make a comeback with the injury that worsened his condition. Resultant, he was forced to take a long break.
- His father, Tej Kaul who is a former cricketer-turned-physiotherapist, worked towards his son’s recovery and fitness endlessly. His father’s dedication and support helped Kaul return to cricket once again.
- Fate however had other plans for him when during a practice session he injured himself yet again, unable to return to action that season.
- Having completely given up all hopes of resuming cricket, it was Yuvraj Singh who helped the young Kaul master courage.
- At the time, Yuvraj Singh’s compelling story of battling cancer was making waves and Kaul couldn’t help but draw inspiration from Yuvi’s strength. If Yuvi can fight a deadly disease, what is a little on-field injury right?!